Donnerstag, 12. August 2010

Homemade Butter




Ok, so looking in my fridge this morning I found 2 unopened containers of heavy whipping cream that were a few days past the sell by date. I had gotten them to make a Chocolate Mousse which I never ended up needing to make. Anyways, I didn't want the cream to go to waste so I started think what I could use it for. Luke and I had just gotten done watching this PBS Frontier House program that we had gotten through Netflix.
On the program 3 modern families were sent back in time to the 1880's to homesteaded some land out in Montana. Everything was time period accurate so the families were truly living and working as 1880's pioneers would have, milking cows, making their own bread cheese, clearing the land and cultivating it, building their own log cabins, everything. So, having that fresh in my mind made me think BUTTER! We could make our own butter to use up the heavy cream. So I poured the cream into a mason jar, put a lid on it and started shaking. Annsley and Natalie both took turns and within about 10 minutes we had homemade butter and buttermilk. It was so easy and fun to do.




All you need is:
Heavy cream
1 Mason jar with lid and ring
2 hands to shake!

Shake until cream thickens, keep shaking until a ball forms, pour off and keep or drink the buttermilk. Then enjoy on some homemade bread or muffins!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen