Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2009

Maple Nut Granola

God has given me a joy in cooking for my family and trying out new recipes. This one I got from my friend Heather. It is really easy and has a bunch of ways to tailor it to your own liking. Enjoy!




Maple Nut Granola


Preheat oven to 350.



4 1/2 cups rolled oats (I use Old Fashioned Quaker Oats -- DO NOT use the quick cooking stuff) 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup nuts (Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts and Hazelnuts -feel free to mix and match whatever you have)
2 cups plain, puffed cereal (I use Kashi 7 Whole Grain Puffs, but you can make your own mixture at the health food store, or whatever you want -- you could probably even use Rice Krispies.)
1/3 cup vegetable or light/reg olive oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 T barley malt, molasses, or brown sugar (they each give their own subtle flavors, so experiment for the one you like best -- or use whatever you have on hand)

Place all dry ingredients in a great big bowl and mix well.
Put all the wet ingredients together (oil, maple syrup, and barley malt or other) in a separate small bowl, and stir very well until thick and completely combined.


Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir until completely coated. Lightly grease a sided cookie sheet/jelly-roll pan, and spread granola mixture evenly. Bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden and fragrant. Stir half-way through so that the browning will be even.


Remove from oven and put pan on top of cooling rack. Stir. Continue to stir every so often until cooled.


Add raisins or other dried fruit if you wish to the completely cooled granola, and eat!

NOTE:
Variations are endless. Substitute or add more/different kinds of raw seeds, vary up the fruit, add unsweetened or sweet flaked coconut, chopped dark chocolate or tiny chocolate chips. Whatever sounds good probably is. If you have a great variation idea, I'd love to hear it, so tell me all about it in the comments.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Yum! I love making granola. I have a recipe that I love too, but yours looks great. I've never put puff cereal or pumpkin seeds in mine, but I think I will try it. My recipe has no oil, just brown sugar dissolved in water and then almond or maple extract. I love your blog:)

    AntwortenLöschen